Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wichita Mens Milatex™ Music Ski Jacket

Difference!



I remembered, by a conversation that has nothing to do (how? Wonder ... with nothing, I guess ...) of an episode of my childhood / early youth. In this "awakening of the Rock" from my earliest adolescence, when there was only one FM in Caracas (which still exists and still hear) with very good programming but more oriented toward academic music on the AM band had a station whose headquarters was near my house, and we "rocked" with distorted guitars and heavy rhythms amid the rise of the "wars of Minitheques" Back in the 80s, "Broadcasting Venezuela



Your announcers were like heroes to us. In particular Arturo Camero, who had a program called" Rock en Response ", which put the band stronger, more intense lyrics, nothing "mainstream" at all. And the unforgettable Marisela Bonilla, auditory imagination of many teenagers who, like me, listened to announce on the microphone that "this program is courtesy of the Boutique" yu-yu ", which is in ... . The notoriously "yu-yu" not left to sleep late more than one, when twice a week the same iIn addition Bonilla brought us two outstanding programs, "Pure Metal", with the leading edge Metal in that time and "Jazz" to balance the issue. There I met Pat Metheny, but not in person but one of my adventures, many adolescents who studied closely by that time, did ritual visits to the station, which was also a second-floor-plus-mezzanine of an ancient building whose ground floor was another AM station, "Radio Liberty", rather conservative cut, perhaps a little outdated, and the staff for some reason (perhaps for not being "rock") we did not like ..



The thing is we used to visit the station, and once traspasábamos the "threshold" of Radio Liberty, started "the ascent rock temple, which was to walk up a (high) down stairs very old and maybe a little dark, which partially revealed in the dim light that lit the hall, the "graffiti" made by many of us, with logos of the bands that idolatrábamos, with replicas of the most impressive covers, done in pencil or the most daring, with marker-and even declarations and oaths of eternal love to Casey, the always adored


... .. That afternoon I went
only. Sometimes talking to the operator on duty, who, by the time in which I podíá'ir was almost always the same, and talked of music, groups, etc etc. One day I said "You are recording Marisela, and I am the operator .. want to go? ", I was in heaven. There she was, who had played for at least 3 or 4 years, who put in my ears Venezuelan big bands of that time as Fahrenheit, High Frequency, Hydra, the same people, Archangel, Iceberg, Resistance, Claroxan, Antar ... what memories!. I went into the studio, and fascinated, he also discovered in a man's beard ever gave me guitar lessons, making the substitution to one of my professors ( I do not remember who, if Felix Pedro Vilela or Colino, both well loved and admired, and very important in my training as a musician!) and it was there, doing a program with it: Gonzalo Mico.



were talking about the guitar in jazz, and the idea was a "heads up" national and foreign. For Venezuela: Gonzalo, who was already under his belt "Cinemascope" and "Be-Jazz Arts" (I have first! Never bought the second) and its counterpart was, indeed, Pat Metheny, who had just released "First Circle" , which got some issues, juto with "Offramp" two of my favorite albums peluíto.



That visit marked me. To finally meet this huge six-foot catira whose voice idolatrábamos, and found to be adorable (remembered for a long time when he said "The Same Pod" after repeating a fragment of the taping, and I could not help but laugh with her), see Gonzalo, and listen to Metheny for the first time in my life. I marked the point that has long sought their music (at that time was not so easy around here) until one day I bought my first album Metheny ... and took a trancazo. "Song X" turned out to be more diametrically opposed drive the rest of the work of Metheny ... but I speak better "Cochlear Medicine."



I leave the cover of the album that launched the station in the 84'con the successes of rock and metal of the time. I have no photos of graffiti in the hallway, or Marisela, even the building which years left (I was informed that moved, not where ... and certainly for muuuuuuuchos years without any kind of rock support national or foreign ...) and today is just a sad reminder of that are not the little letters on the facade. This image is, however, a nice memory of that glorious time when Gilberto Bermudez and his group HYDRA (I'm almost certain it was them) recorded this promo for the station that said "790 .. The Diferenciaaaaa!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment